A quick review of our Thanksgiving week. Hope you had a great one.
1. Though we missed our family terribly (we usually spend Thanksgiving with the Jarrett side) this year we decided we have been doing too much traveling and so we stayed in Texas. We were thankful to be invited to eat with our dear friends and the staff of the Isaiah 55 Mission. As a result my daughter got to hang out with a bunch of big kids who took her exploring in a pond and climbing on a broken dock. It would have terrified me so I didn’t watch, as a result she had the most fun day of her life.
2. We wanted to squeeze in a few more fall activities over the last week before moving into advent. I had some leaves tucked away that we collected last fall. So we dipped them in bees wax and strung them on a thread. I love it though I’ve been cleaning up bits of wax all week.
2. We did a little thanksgiving craft at the refugee shelter. We are also reading Little house on the Prairie (for the second time) so my daughter’s telling of the Thanksgiving story goes something like. “Well the settlers arrived and the Indians brought them food and they all ate together, then the settlers took the Indian’s land and killed the Indians.” Mostly accurate but a rough introduction to the history of our country.
3. Oh yeah and the place mats are the leftover leaves ironed into a wax paper place mat. My husband said he made some like this in preschool. Also those odd looking cookies are one of my new favorites, sugarless, flourless breakfast cookies, recipe will come once I perfect it.
4. I’ve had a few fall cooking flops this week including this pie I made for Thanksgiving. I guess overall it wasn’t so bad, just not very attractive.
I also tried fermented apple sauce. Apparently a good source of pro-biotics, mine tasted a bit like bourbon.
On the positive side we started making cold brewed coffee which has gone well.
7. One more fall activity to do before we head into advent. We are all headed to the Corn Maze this weekend and then Sunday we are moving on into advent.
Happy Holiday Weekend!
For more quick takes check out thisaintlyceum.com
Thanks for reading friends,
To learn more about Liturgy of Life click here, or join us in our reading group, where we are currently reading, The Art of The Commonplace by Wendell Berry. Feel free to comment here or join in the discussion on facebook.